Saturday, March 3, 2012

Claire Wilson, Introduction







Stuck

My portraits represent a small circle of friends I grew up with living in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. At the moment they are lost souls; many of them don't go to or haven't been to college, a few never finished high school, work dead end jobs or are unemployed, and live with their parents. Most of them have been through traumatic experiences recently: losing loved ones or finding out others are sick or dying. Many have developed addictions or mental health issues. These portraits are of a class of people that I believe exists almost everywhere; the kids who get stuck when it's time to become an adult but they just don't know how, and life's problems end up bogging them down. These portraits focus on exploring my changing relationships with the people who are closest to me and simultaneously documents their struggles being the youth population in a small town with a bleak future. With this series I hope to reach our generation as a whole, sending them the message that the obstacles that life presents us with don't have to destroy us unless we allow them to. 



follow Claire's work here

No comments:

Post a Comment