Monday, February 13, 2012

Catherine Ryan, Introduction






Stay Close 

 Photographing them validates their importance to me. I use my camera as a way of exploring relationships with those I am closest too. In a sense I use photography like a diary. The closer I get to someone, the more likely it becomes that I will photograph them; preserving our experiences and memories together, is my way of showing that I trust them. And I thank them for earning that trust by keeping their memory in my photos.

Historically, I have not been close to many men, and my photographs reflected this, unintentionally by the exclusion of men. Now that I am exploring my first intimate relationship with a man, I want to see our relationship unfold through my lens. Achieving this has been difficult and I have felt very amateurish in my photography around him. However, I’m not the only one adjusting. He also has to overcome his own discomfort at being photographed, “I’m going to have to get used to you taking pictures of things I wouldn’t think to take one of.”





follow Catherine's work here
& her thoughts here

No comments:

Post a Comment