Sunday, February 19, 2012

Andy Baker, Introduction









Metaphor for a Missing Moment 

 My photography aims to explore my unconscious. I often do not know where a certain body of work is going until it has already gotten there. A lot of the work is informal portraiture mixed with landscape and natural detail, which portrays my subjects in an aesthetically pleasing manner, and also creates a record of that person or place that, when printed, is tangible and real.

 I've been feverishly documenting my relationships with the people I am close to against their natural environments. I am seeking natural forms and beautiful light within this context, while trying to record and remember. The work often has reoccurring symbolic or spiritual elements which are referential to my late friend George Delany. His passing has and will continue to affect my photographic vision, and I feel as though this supernaturally influenced aspect is helpful in understanding the visually metaphorical statements I make with my work.

I work almost exclusively with 35mm format. I find that the smaller camera allows me to gain a certain level of intimacy that I feel is difficult to achieve with anything larger. Using film is a personal choice that allows me to come into closer contact with the original image, which I think allows me to more accurately render the final product the way I want to. Being able to document in some manner at all times is essential for my workflow. Not knowing when or where I will find a moment worth remembering keeps my creative process on edge, while creating tension within the work that gives the photographs impact. I deal with a lot of personal issues in my photography. It is therapeutic in the sense that it often expresses things I have trouble talking about with words.




follow Andy's work here


No comments:

Post a Comment